Taekwondo 태권도Taekwondo Preschool
When you reach senior belt you are expected to guide the junior belts when they are beginning Taekwondo such as showing by example. To advance from one rank to the next, students typically complete promotion tests in which they demonstrate their proficiency in the various aspects of the art before a panel of judges or their teacher. View Taekwondo belt levels »
Bull Horn Blocking
( 황소막기 hwangso-makgi )
Difficulty Level: Advanced Technique: Blocks ( 막기 makgi )
This technique takes the shape of a bull's horn by lifting the outside edges of both wrist over the head so the opponents attack is weakened along the diagonal lines of the forearms. In this move the two fists simultaneously protect the face by raising the fists from the lower stomach with the palms facing the body. The wrist of the blocking hands are one fist away from the forehead. The Bull Horn Block ( 황소막기 Hwangso-makgi ) is an advanced blocking technique performed in Sipjin 품새 십진 ( 5th Dan Poomse ).
Block is introduced in the following patterns:
BLACK BELT: Sipjin 품새 십진 ( 5th Dan Poomse )
Poomse is the foundation for the teaching of Taekwondo. A poomse, or form, is a detailed pattern of defense-and-attack motions and techniques used in traditional martial arts. Poomse is useful in developing proper kinetics, mental and physical fortitude.
Sipjin stands for ten symbols of longevity, which are Sun, Moon, Mountain, Water, Stone, Pine tree, Herb of eternal youth, Turtle, Deer, and Crane. This poomse represents the endless development and growth by the basic idea of the ten symbols of longevity and the decimal system.
For more information on taekwondo patterns refer to Poomse 품새 Section »
Learn other taekwondo blocks on the Main Blocking ( 막기 makgi ) Section »
Taekwondo Blocks ( 막기 makgi )
In martial arts, blocking is the act of stopping or deflecting an opponent's attack for the purpose of preventing injurious contact with the body. A block usually consists of placing a limb across the line of the attack. Blocks are considered by some to be the most direct and least subtle of defensive techniques. Other ways of avoiding attack include evasion, trapping, slipping and deflection of the oncoming attack; this approach is often referred to as the application of 'soft' techniques.
View all taekwondo blocks on the Blocks ( 막기 makgi ) Main Section ».
- Low Block ( 아래막기 arae-makgi )
- Middle Block ( 몸통막기 momtong-makgi )
- High Block ( 올려막기 olgul-makgi )
- Outside Block ( 바깥막기 momtong-bakkat-makgi )
- Single KnifeHand Outward Block ( 한손날 바깥막기 hansonnal-bakkat-makgi )
- Pressing Block ( 눌러막기 nulleo-makgi )
- Palm Heel Pressing block ( 바탕손 눌러막기 batangson-nulleo-makgi )
- Palm Heel Inward Block ( 바탕손 안막기 batangson-an-makgi )
- Inward Knife-Hand Block ( 손날 안막기 sonnal-an-makgi )
- Cross Block ( 엇걸어막기 otgoreo makgi )
- Knifehand High Cross Block ( 손날 엇걸어막기 sonnal olgul otgoreo makgi )
- Supported HandBlade Block ( 손날 거들어 바깥막기 sonnal kodureo makgi )
- Inner Wrist Outer Block ( 안팔목 바깥막기 anpalmok bakkat makgi )
- Trunk Push Low Block ( 아래 헤쳐막기 arae hecho makgi )
- Trunk Push Middle Block ( 바깥팔목 헤쳐막기 bakkat palmok hecho makgi )
- Scissors Block ( 가위막기 kawi makgi )
- Diamond Block ( 금강막기 keumgang-makgi )
- Outside Wrist Pressing Block ( 바깥팔목 눌러막기 bakkatpalmok nulleo-makgi )
- (Outside Wrist) Supported Trunk Block ( (바깥팔목) 거들어 바깥막기 (bakkatpalmok) kodureo bakkat makgi )
- Low Cross Block ( 아래 엇걸어막기 arae-otgoreo-makgi )
- Open Wide Mountain Block ( 산틀막기 santeul-makgi )
- Single Hand Wide Open Block ( 외산틀막기 wesanteul makgi )
- Supported Downward HandBlade Block ( 손날 거들어 내려막기 sonnal kodureo naeryeo makgi )
- HandBlade Twist Outward Block ( 손날 비틀어 바깥막기 sonnal bitureo bakkat makgi )
- Bull Horn Block ( 황소막기 hwangso-makgi )
- Ridgehand Outward Block ( 손날등 바깥막기 sonnal deung bakkat makgi )
- Supported Downward Block ( 거들어 내려막기 kodureo naeryeo makgi )
- Inside Wrist Side Block ( 안팔목 옆막기 anpalmok-yeop-makgi )
- Inner Wrist Double Block ( 안팔목 헤쳐막기 anpalmok hecho makgi )
- High Outside Block ( 올려 바깥막기 olgul bakkat makgi )
- Hand Blade Low Block ( 한손날 아래막기 sonnal arae makgi )
- Hand Blade Double Block ( 손날 헤쳐막기 sonnal hecho makgi )
- Low Side Block ( 아래 옆막기 arae-yeop-makgi )
- Inner Wrist Supported Outward Block (anpalmok kodureo bakkat makgi)
- Ridgehand Supporting Downward Block ( 손날등 거들어 내려막기 sonnal-deung-kodureo-naeryeo-makgi )
- Bent Wrist Outward Block ( 굽힌손목 바깥막기 gupinsonmok-bakkat-makgi )
There are five tenets defined in the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF) and several more in World Taekwondo (WT).
Courtesy ( Ye Ui / 예의 ): "Showing courtesy to all, respecting others, having manners as well as maintaining the appropriate etiquette at all times, both within and outside the dojang (도장) (designated training area)." View Taekwondo Tenets »
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "List of Taekwondo Techniques", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.